Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Diva Challenge #330: "Zentangle Plates"

This week's Diva Challenge is courtesy of Jeanette Clawson. She is a graduate of CZT #27 although she has been tangling for a number of years.  You can read about her story here on The Diva's blog. She explains a little about what lead her to this art form.  Like many, it was a tool in dealing with things.  It isn't that tangling is the only one that can do this but I think its portability makes it easy to use anywhere.

The basis of her challenge is her love of mandalas.  When she was at the CZT seminar they discussed tangle plates, which is really a mosaic or arcs and when you put 4 tiles together, they form a plate.  You can get as symmetrical and as intricate as you want.  She did 4 tiles but indicated that it was not necessary to do 4 for the challenge. You could do only one.

I like mandalas also and have about 100 that I have done over the years.  I have not done the mosaic style of this challenge.  Was not sure that I was going to participate due to time and I knew that I would not be able to do 4 tiles.  My intent was to do one tile.   It is similar to the stripes challenge that was done a couple of times.  Well when I was ready to start, I found out that I did not have a full size tile. I had some Bijou tiles. I only had two of them. Which I decided to use. So mine is a "broken plate".

As a time saver, I decided to do the same tangles on similar rings.  Here are the two tiles that I completed.






Tangles used: Tipple, Cubine, Hibred, Meer, Bird on a Wire
Shading done with HB pencil

Here are the two together to form my "broken plate" ( see the jagged line along the bottom?)




I have only seen a few of the pieces posted. Those are ones that show up in my feed list.  I plan on trying to look at them over the next couple of days. Would strongly recommend that you go and look when you have the chance. You can do so by clicking here on I am the Diva.  

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.  

Go Tangle !!

19 comments:

  1. Well I may not let you near my best china, Donald, but I like YOUR broken plate. It was a good choice of patterns for this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I will be careful!. Thanks. Was just a way to have some fun with the challenge.

      Delete
  2. Lovely broken plate, the tangles are drawn beautiful and there are nice contrasts. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great Donald! Some of the Tanglers used Photoshop and made a whole plate out of one tangle I thought that was a great idea, wish I had Photoshop still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had read about people doing the Photoshop thing. Is definitely another way to address.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha...love the broken plate concept! Your tiles are great. I had forgotten all about Bird on a Wire. I think I will add that to my next plate 😉 Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used it for a while either. There are tangles that I like that sometimes get lost until something reminds me of them. I have particular fondness to this tangle as it was deconstructed by a fellow CZT 10

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful and great straight lines. Nice broken plate.😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proof that necessity is the mother of invention! Sometimes one's plate is only half full and apparently, it's also possible to just have half a plate. Brilliant concept and fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like this 'broken plate' Donald! You know, that I still miss the zendala challenges of The wise Owl? At a point she promised to start again, but (unfortunately) never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was in a silly mood at the time and seemed appropriate as I only had two tiles. I miss the Zendala Dare also. I think she got focused on some other interests. I have a couple of templates to make them but have not done a lot with them. When I have done any they have been more free form.

      Delete
  8. I miss the Zendala dare that Erin used to do too. I loved working on them but never do it without someone "making" me. Your half of a mosaic is still quite stunning, Donald.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Would be nice to have something like it again. Not sure if there is a FB group on this or not. Probably is.

      Delete
  9. Glad you pointed out the 'broken' bottom, but I have to say, when you break plates you break them nicely, evenly. The question remains, what happened to the other half?
    Other than that, what remains from your plate is beautifully drawn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful "broken plates"! I like that idea! The "Bird on Wire Border is so lovely! I miss the Zendala Dare, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.