Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Diva Challenge #221: " Beads of Courage"

This week's Diva Challenge is one that occurs yearly. It is to bring attention to the Beads of Courage program. I think that it originally started around kids with cancer but has been expanded to include any child that has a condition that necessitates numerous and ongoing medical evaluations and procedures. The Diva's youngest son has Moebius Syndrome, a neurological disorder that impacts facial muscles. Some things that we take for granted, can be difficult to do, like sucking. It also results in his system being prone to infections. Anyone that has read her blog knows the strain that this puts on her family as well as others.

The Beads of Courage gives these kids a glass bead for every medical procedure that they go through. These kids can have yards of beads. I have participated in this challenge a couple of times. I was not sure that I was going to get anything done this year. I happened to have some time at work today because of no show/cancelled appointments so I decided to start something. I did not plan on using a black zendala tile but when I opened my tote that I use to carry my pens and tiles, this was the only one unused tile I had. Luckily I also had my container that had my metallic gel pens in it. Kept it simple. Not sure if I will do another one or not. Here is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy it.


I forgot how you have to be careful with the gel pens as the ink does not dry as quickly as the Microns. Resulted in a few smudges until I finally was aware enough. In keeping with my practice of using the first tile I complete, I did not start over. Did not really use a lot of tangles. Did a few Cruffle and Printemp circles. Threw in a few Indy-rella for variety. The rest is just line work.

Will be interesting to see what others do. This usually results in some pretty cool tiles. I have not looked at any of them yet, and hope I have time to see them all. Not sure how much time I will have to comment on peoples' tiles. If you have not visited the Diva's blog click here so look at all the other great pieces of art.

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated. 

Go Tangle !!

13 comments:

  1. I think it's a great tile! And I love the round shape. I think the smudges give it character and somewhat of an "aged" appeal to it. Thank you for sharing it.

    Jeanine H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gel pens show up well against the dark tile and I think the finished product is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colored beads on the black background. That's how jewelers show off their finery! I, too, have that smudgy problem with gel pens, but I just think of it as the way things go when you do freehand work. That's my story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought gel pens too and I find that the technique is more difficult because the lines are less fine and the ink dries more slowly. As I am left-handed I often make smudges.
    Your drawing is very attractive, delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought gel pens too and I find that the technique is more difficult because the lines are less fine and the ink dries more slowly. As I am left-handed I often make smudges.
    Your drawing is very attractive, delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield (not my favorite person to paraphrase)----we tangle with the supplies we have, not the supplies we wish we had. :-)
    You did a very admirable job with the supplies you had. Gel pens are much less forgiving than felt tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think given the supplies you had on hand, this was a brilliant tile. The contrast actually goes really well, though probably wasn't intended at the time :) I have sometimes found that it is those things that we had not intended that make our pieces all the more uniquely beautiful!!

    Also - I could hardly see the smudges :P Here I have this thing for glitter - I have used glitter to save a couple of tiles.. Maybe it would work for you too <3

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pesky gels! I think they intend to make us slow down on purpose! I love the composition here, so the extras don't detract from it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work, especially because you used gel pens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your 'simple' tile! You are so right about the pens, you have to be careful all the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple and effective. It's lovely. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your sweet tile. Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  13. A terrific Tile, Donald. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.