Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Zendala Dare #93: Snowflake Surprise

This week's Zendala Dare was a challenge. The challenge was to use the template to create a representation of your vision of a snowflake. While I did like the template, as  hard as I tried I could not think of anyway to come up with something that represented a snowflake. I looked at the second one that Erin did, which was beautiful, but could not come up with anything. I did not want to duplicate hers. I think it partly is just the way my brain processes the templates. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that when I see a template I usually look at spaces and think of tangles that might fit. Other people have mentioned before that they will look at a template and it reminds them of something so that directs their zendala. That rarely happens to me. There maybe have been a few times that a template reminded me of something, but to me it was an obvious connection. Trying to come up with a representation of a snowflake stumped me so much I just could not get past it. Since I really did like the template I finally decided that I would just proceed with a zendala and hope for the best. Here is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy it, even if it is not a snowflake.



Tangles used: Quib, Knightsbridge, Betweed 
The center is what I would call a starburst.

I have not taken the time to look at what others have posted but hopefully will be able to do so later. I am still hoping to complete the Diva Challenge, but this week has been chaotic. I feel lucky to get this one done. If you have not looked at the posts on The Bright Owl, would strongly encourage you do so.

Thanks for visiting. As always comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

Go Tangle !!

8 comments:

  1. Yes Donald, snowflake or not, it's a great zendala. Betweed is great here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOVE the (what looks like) little pipe sections with quib coming out of it & weaving around the zendala. Gives a nice organic flair to what is otherwise a beautifully geometric piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your shading, the betweed edge especially has a lot of depth and reminds me of a danish pastry (or maybe that's just because I'm hungry)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Zendala, Donald. I like the contrast and the shading. And that center that you call a starburst looks very much like a pattern called Gneiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is a variation. The one that you mentioned I tend to see as being off center.

      Delete
  5. Lovely Zendala, Donald - I know what you mean about the snowflake. I managed one but the template didn't really offer much help. It was a great one to do if you put the snowflake aside...yours is great and has my favourite tangles. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I thought of trying a couple of different tangles, but Knightsbridge seemed to be the easiest to work in a continuous fashion in a circle and match where it met.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bold design!

    I did not attempt the template because snowflakes have 6 points not 10. If the template had 12 sides, I might have tried a modification. Just my mathematical brain refusing to go there....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.