Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Diva Challenge #102: "DuoTangle v. VI: Auraknot/Bunzo"

The Diva presented another great challenge. It was doing a DuoTangle. The two tangles that she chose are both tangles that I really like but had not really thought much about doing together. I was anticipating getting started but kept delaying because I was not exactly sure what I wanted to do. I even looked at more things other people submitted than I usually do because I was just having a hard time getting started. In true Zentangle® style, I took deep breath and began. I had a vague idea that I wanted the two to intertwine so I did have to think about how I was going to begin ( remember - no erasers). Once I started though it flowed very well. Isn't that the case with a lot of things when we are unsure. We focus on all the things that might go wrong or not work out and don't get started and just deal with what happens, trusting that we have the ability to deal with what happens. We have resources to deal with a less than perfect situation. Hopefully another lesson reinforced to tuck away for later.

My thoughts are a little heavy though as think of this and a family that I know, and their extended family, grieving the death a their 19 year old nephew, cousin, son, and brother. He was killed when his car hydroplaned, flipped over into a ditch filled with 4 to 5 feet of water and could not be freed soon enough to revive him. He was returning to college at Ball State. As I think of this I am mindful of what David wrote in Psalms 28:7, The Lord is my strength and my shield: in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped. We try so hard to arrange/control things in the way that we think is best and take care of people that are dear to us. We need to do what we can, but we still need to trust, because we are not in control. We can only "trust and be helped". I hope that is what his family is experiencing now.

For this Challenge, I chose to return to the basics and did a traditional Zentangle® style tile. It is on a square tile and only in black and white with shading. As hard as it was for me to get started I am pleased with the result. I tried some different things with the shading and for a first effort feel it turned out well. Not sure that it shows up as well in the picture as the real tile. Here it is. I hope you enjoy it.



If you have not all ready, I strongly encourage you to go to I am the Diva to look at the other great pieces that people have done. The variety and talent amazes me every week.

Almost forgot to mention a self-proclaimed benchmark for my blog as I surpassed 5,000 views this week. I appreciate all the Challenge, Dare, and Flickr participants, friends and family, and followers and other visitors for making it possible to reach this number in what I consider to be a short time since I only began this blog in August 2012. A big THANK YOU to you all.

I am glad that you visited. As always comments are encouraged, welcomed, and appreciated.

20 comments:

  1. I really love how you've approached this tile, Donald. Bunzo looks great flowing through your auraknot. Lovely highlighting on bunzo, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I had been doing more things with color and it was nice to get "back to the basics" and also try some new things in the shading. I still am not satisfied with this part of my work but do feel it is improving. Hope the weather cools off for you. Here we are looking at the coldest temperatures in 2 years with highs being in the single digits and lows being under 0° F.

      Delete
    2. I think that auraknot is a pretty difficult one to shade - so many overlaps, lots of options, you did a lovely job. Weather wise we've had a bit of respite, sort of, it's been around 30C/86F for a few days, but we're back up to 39C/102F today. Still, I prefer this to any sort of cold weather! I couldn't cope with the temperatures you are experiencing!

      Delete
  2. Your tile is very pretty! To tell you teh truth, I usen eraser in this one, what I normally never do. I drew the outside line of Auraknot with a pencil, because that's so hard to do right. If there was a need for it, I erased a piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I lucked out on the eraser. It did take some thought though about what I wanted to do.

      Delete
  3. I think its very pretty too.
    I like the way they "pop"out of the knot!
    I wish you much strength this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was some thought to make some decision about when to draw what. Actually, once I got the flow it was not as hard as I thought it might be.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful how the bunzo finds its way through the auraknot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. After thinking of what I wanted to do and getting it started I did not want any more decisions so doing any color was out.

      Delete
  5. Your shading and highlighting are wonderful! Great job on your tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I tried some things on the Bunzo. Before I would have just done the highlighting and left it alone. Generally was pleased with how it turned out. The smaller sections were a little more challenging.

      Delete
  6. Donald, Thank you for sharing such a sad story, but it is a reminder to tell those who you love how much they mean to you while they are here. I am sorry your heart is heavy but glad you have zentangle to also help you through. Beautiful tile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind words. Thinks have settled a little since I first posted. Zentangle did give me something else to focus on. Was also probably easier for me than the immediate family.

      Delete
  7. Gosh Donald I like the way you created bunzo to look strong and brave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Donald, I like what you did with the Bunzo. Its cute how it crawls through the auraknot. Great

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a really neat job of intertwining bunzo, making it crawl through the openings.. maybe a bit creepy looking too -

    ReplyDelete
  10. A difficult week for you I am sure. I see strength in your Bunzo emerging from the maze of auraknot. Lots of metaphors could be associated with this tile. Very nice Donald.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donald,your bunzo and auraknot reminds of a Dr. Suess drawing. It's great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.