Saturday, January 5, 2013

Zendala Dare #39 - ZenDon't

Well this week's challenge was different and definitely a challenge. Basically it was to no do what you usually do when doing a Zendala. (Not sure how that would work for someone if this was their first dare.) After some initial consternation and a little hesitation, or procrastination if you like, I was able to get started and did enjoy it. Some of the things that were different began from the very beginning. I usually only make one copy of the template, but this time, I made 2 because I was not sure how many I might need. I did only use one. Second, I usually copy the template as it is and fill in the spaces. This time I left quite a few of the lines out. It dramatically changed the template and the end result. Oh well, just following instructions. Next, I used color which I rarely do for the dares and actually most of my work. I did use tangles I liked but not ones that I have used a lot. I do not think I have ever used any "organic" tangles, maybe except for Zinger, in any of my Zendalas. This one is about half organic looking tangles. The next thing I did different is that I deconstructed a pattern that I saw while I was out shopping and included it in the Zendala. Have not checked much to see if it has been used before. I do not remember seeing it. Lastly, I do not think I  have ever gotten a Dare done on a Saturday. Maybe once before I got it done on a Sunday.  There Erin, I hope that suffices as enough "Don'ts".  The only thing that plan on DOING  like I have before is going to The Bright Owl frequently to look at all the other great Zendalas. Hope you enjoy it.




Tangles used: Betweed, Scroll feather, Diva Dance 



Thanks for visiting and as always, comments are welcomed and encouraged. Hope the New Year has gotten off to a great start for you. I have enjoyed some time off over the holidays, including teaching 2 Basic Zentangle classes with really great students, but Monday it is back to my grown-up job.

Hope you will take the time to go to The Bright Owl and look at the other Zendalas

15 comments:

  1. Changing it has given you a bunch of creativity and I really like the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did kind of surprise myself. I did have to think about other possibilities and not just copy the template. Probably more minimal.

      Delete
  2. Your Zendala is beautiful! Love the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have to give credit to Helen Williams for that. Saw her use of Diva Dance as feathers and it worked out well.

      Delete
  3. You deffinetly did enough don'ts. And I like the result of your work. It is so organic, with beuatiful colors. And I agree with your point of visit all the other beautiful zendala dare contributions. I could not resist that habbit too. I even was more anxious to do this because the results are so different as what we usual see. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Do not think I have ever done such an organic zendala. I used wist in a section before. Think it easier to use the organic tangles in larger spaces.

      Delete
  4. what an interesting result! love the feathers and the mummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was satisfied with the way it turned since it was so different from what I usually do.

      Delete
  5. Great job! Love the soft color and flow of your feathers! Fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do not use a lot of color. Made me appreciate the basic Zentangle® method when you eliminate that decision. Did give me a chance to use my color Microns though.

      Delete
  6. Hi Donald, funny how you have worked out this dare!
    It is a lot to think not about!!!!!And you did not use all the pieces in the zendala! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely - I like your balance of soft and rigid , and great choice of colors. I can see you had fun doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely and different zendala. I like the template being changed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Love the center and the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great response to the dare. You managed quite a few "don'ts" while producing a colorful and interesting zendala.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.